Neighbourhood Profiles – Inner City
Sources: City of Calgary (2015) Community Profiles, CREB – Calgary Real Estate Board creb.com Community Stats (2014)
Population – 434
Bel-Aire was established as a neighbourhood in 1960. Bel-Aire is a wealthy residential neighborhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. It is located east of the Glenmore Reservoir and the Elbow River and west of the community of Meadowlark Park and Chinook Center and north of the neighborhood of Mayfair. The Calgary Golf and Country Club course makes up its northern boundary.
Population – 722
Britannia is a residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. It is bounded by Elbow Drive to the east, 50 Avenue S to the south, Elbow River and Riverdale Park to the west and Britannia Drive to the north. Britannia was established in 1956.
Population – 1736
Elboya is located south of the Elbow River between Elbow Drive and Macleod Trail. Both of these transportation arteries provide direct access to the Downtown, which is approximately 4 kilometres north of Elboya. Elboya was established as a neighbourhood in 1947. Nearby Stanley Park and the pathway offer recreational opportunities for the residents. For more than 25 years, Elboya has provided a skating rink in Stanley Park which is open to the public through the winter months.
Population – 1605
Parkhill/Stanley Park is one of the City’s oldest communities
Parkhill/Stanley Park is an inner-city community in Calgary. Established in 1910, it is one of the City’s oldest communities, and witnessing steady urban renewal. Just minutes to Calgary’s downtown core in the S.W. quadrant of the City, connecting to Mission Road (4th Street), Macleod Trail, and Stanley Park. The community touches on kilometers of river pathways and bike paths, is within walking distance to 4th Street and 17th Avenue shops and restaurants, and brags an eclectic mix of architecture with over 1600 residents that call this community home.
Population – 473
The community of Mayfair is located east of the Glenmore Reservoir, near the site of the Glenmore Dam. Mayfair was developed around 1957. Residents of Mayfair have access to numerous recreational activities provided by the proximity to Heritage Park, the Glenmore Reservoir, Calgary Golf and Country Club, and the pathway. Direct access to the Downtown, which is approximately 6 kilometres north of Mayfair, is available via Elbow Drive.
Population – 243
Roxboro is a small inner-city neighbourhood in the southwest sector of the city. Roxboro subdivision began to develop in 1912 but due to the real estate bust the neighbourhood wasn’t built-out until the 1920s.
It is surrounded by natural amenities with the Elbow River forming the northern edge of the community and bluffs the east and southern edges. The predominant form of building in the area is single family dwellings. Residents have direct access to downtown, which is only 2.5 kilometers north of Roxboro.
Population – 6702
Developed in 1940, Windsor Park is a residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary. It is bounded by 50 Avenue S to the north, Macleod Trail to the east, 58 Avenue S to the south and the Calgary Golf & Country Club and Elbow River to the west. Chinook Centre is located south-east from the neighbourhood. A major renovation to the community center was completed in 2010 and a brand new multi age playground was added next to the community center in 2011.
Population – 9,518
Altadore is a residential neighbourhood in the inner-city portion of the southwest quadrant of Calgary. It is located between 14 Street and Crowchild Trail, south of the neighbourhood of South Calgary. It is bordered by the Elbow River and the River Park to the southeast. Altadore was named one of Calgary’s best neighbourhoods in 2010 for its proximity to River Park, one of Calgary’s best parks on the Elbow River, and Marda Loop, the largest and busiest outdoor shopping area in Calgary, and for having a vibrant party and cultural scene. The neighbourhood is experiencing a gentrification process with many high-end, luxury semi-detached homes built in the last ten years, favoured by trendy, young professionals and families.
Upper Mount Royal
Population – 2609
During the early 1900s, Mount Royal was promoted by the C.P.R. as an exclusive neighbourhood for Calgary’s affluent citizens. The neighbourhood was originally known as American Hill, because of the large number of Americans who settled there. Later, the area was formally named Mount Royal, after the Montreal community which was home to the then president of the C.P.R, William E. Van Horne. Mount Royal developed rapidly between 1904 and 1914.
Restrictive covenants were placed on the titles of properties which restricted development to single family dwellings and set minimum housing construction costs. The exclusive character of the community has been maintained over the years. Most of the houses in the area were constructed during Calgary’s 1910-1912 building boom when Mount Royal gained its reputation as an exclusive residential district. It was the home of many of Calgary’s elite, including Colonel James Macleod and the A.E. Cross family.
Source: The Federation of Calgary Communities
Lower Mount Royal
The Lower Mount Royal area was annexed to the City in 1907 and was part of the original C.P.R. subdivision of Mount Royal in 1909. Unlike the Upper Mount Royal district, however, Lower Mount Royal was subdivided into fifty foot lots, and wood and stucco were the predominant building materials as compared to the brick and sandstone in Upper Mount Royal. Many of the lots were further subdivided into twenty-five foot lots and developed with houses of wood frame construction, similar to those of the Beltline district.
The community has experienced dramatic changes in the last twenty years. Much of its residential, and an increasing proportion of its commercial areas, has been redeveloped to accommodate Calgary’s rapid growth. The Area Redevelopment Plan encourages the continuation of this trend in a manner which reflects community and city-wide objectives and fosters medium density residential and commercial development.
Population – 3,126
Elbow Park is a residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary. It is one of the oldest and wealthiest communities in the city. It is bordered to the south and east by Elbow River, to the east by Elbow Drive, to the north by Council Way and to the west by 14 Street W. Elbow Park was annexed to the City of Calgary in 1907 and developed after 1910, when it was established as a neighbourhood. River Park and Stanley Park, developed in the Elbow River valley, border the community.
Population – 498
Due to a bend in the river, Rideau Park is bordered on three sides by the Elbow River. Rideau Park is the home of Lindsay’s Castle. Dr. Neville J. Lindsay, a prominent doctor and developer in Calgary during the early 1900s, decided to build an elaborate sandstone home on the escarpment above the Elbow River. The mansion would have had a spectacular view of the city and the mountains, however, due to financial problems, only the foundation and main floor of the building were constructed. The community is within close proximity to the downtown, to major transportation routes such as 4th Street and Macleod Trail, and to the pathway system.
Population – 4,350
The Mission district is an inner city neighbourhood of Calgary, which originated as Notre Dame de la Paix, a Catholic mission, and was for a time the incorporated Village of Rouleauville. Mission contains the very popular 4th Street with many trendy restaurants and shops, and it hosts the Lilac Festival in May – Calgary’s largest street festival. The Cliff Bungalow – Mission community association attempts to guide development of the area, ensuring that it remains low density and restricting the construction of buildings over three stories.
Population – 1210
Erlton, established in 1906, is an inner city residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary. It is bounded by the Elbow River to the north and west, by Spiller Road to the east and by Mission Road to the south. Macleod Trail bisects the neighbourhood from north to south. The neighbourhood is represented by the Erlton Community Association.
The community is served by the Erlton/Stampede station of the C-Train LRT system. The Talisman Centre and Lindsay Park border the community to the north, and the Stampede Grounds are located immediately north-west.
Erlton is Calgary’s best-kept secret and an inner-city gem. As one of the City’s founding neighbourhoods, Erlton strives to be a lifestyle-friendly and safe community where quality development is balanced with respect for our neighbours, historic character and the natural environment.
Population – 3959
South Calgary is a residential neighborhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary. It is located between 14th St west and Crowchild Trail. The community has an area redevelopment plan in place.
The community maintains an outdoor swimming pool, as well as a community hall and several city parks. The Alexander Calhoun Branch of the Calgary Public Library is also located in the area.
South Calgary was established in 1914 on land annexed by the City of Calgary in 1907. However, the area remained largely undeveloped until the early 1950s.
Population – 632
Meadowlark Park is located in southwest Calgary near the intersection of Glenmore Trail and Elbow Drive. It was annexed to the City of Calgary during the late 1950s and developed around the same time. Approximately half of the community, the area west of 5th Street, has residential developments along curvilinear streets. The area east of 5th Street, however, has commercial developments – mainly Chinook Shopping Centre. Both Elbow Drive and MacLeod Trail provide direct access to the Downtown, which is approximately 6 kilometres north of the community.
North Glenmore Park
Population – 2380
North Glenmore Park is a residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary. It is bounded by 50 Avenue SW to the north, Glenmore Athletic Park, Lakeview Golf Course and Earl Grey Golf Club to the east, Earl Grey Golf Club to the south and Crowchild Trail SW to the west.
North Glenmore Park was established in 1959 as a subdivision after it was annexed by Calgary the previous year. The Calgary Rowing Club and Calgary Canoe Club are located in the south of the community, adjacent to Glenmore Reservoir. Numerous hiking and cycling trails are maintained on the shores of the Reservoir, between the Weaselhead flats and Glenmore Trail.